When Life Hands You Lemons (7-30-15)

Wow! The last couple of weeks have been very eventful for my husband and I. We were able to go visit our daughter and her husband and meet our new grandson (and only grandchild).
That was such an enjoyable, and long, weekend for us. Our grandson is such an adorable and enjoyable little bundle of joy. We were able to take him to the pool for his first swim (at the age of 1 month). We really enjoyed being able to hold him, and naturally kiss him. The day we arrived for our visit, he had just gotten back from the doctor’s office. Diagnosis: soar throat. By our last day with this beautiful family, I had the same diagnosis.

After not sleeping in our own bed for 4 nights, I was quite anxious to come home and let life return to normal. (We did try to figure out how we could pack that little one into our luggage with mom and dad noticing!) After our first day back to work, I decided to work on my business at home and then head to bed early since my precious grandson got me sick.

About 30 minutes after crawling into my comfortable bed, my cell phone rings. My husband had been playing church softball and ended up getting his legs knocked out from under him, flipped over, and finally landed on his head and back.
I took him to the ER against his wishes (although he had no memory of denying this all-expense paid trip). After 6 hours in the ER, the hospital admitted him into a regular room due to a concussion. I had been up for a total of 22 hours by this point (and let me tell you, I am not a late night owl by any stretch of the imagination). I was able to stay with my husband and after getting only 2 hours sleep, the doctor came in to check on my sweetheart (it was 6:30 am at this point).

Long story short, they send him home telling him to take Extra Strength Tylenol for the pain. My husband has a high tolerance of pain and was unable to deal with the excruciating pain that he was experiencing, so we returned to ER on Friday (3 days after the initial injury) and the ER doctor prescribed him some meds that were more like sugar cubes. So on Saturday, I took him out of our small community and drove an one and a half hours away to the VA hospital where the doctor then confirms that he doesn’t have anything broken and proceeded to give him more effective meds.

He is anxious to return to work and although he gave it a grand attempt today, he found out that he can’t do near what he thought he would be able to do. He plans on taking the rest of the week off and try again next week. I do understand that he doesn’t sit still very well and that our bills are calling his attention. He is an awesome provider and feels helpless at this point.

I do know that God will provide all of our needs. I also know that this is just a hardship that we will endure and come through victoriously. I can say this, although we are going through a rough patch in this thing called life, there are others who have it far worse than we do.

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *